Friday, March 7, 2014

Food Friday - Toaster Pastries

Weekend mornings when all family members are usually under the same roof without the need to be elsewhere is a time I've come to savor.

I can also take time to make something special to enjoy when the little men (& the husband) wander into the kitchen midmorning, coaxed from their warm beds, to follow the aromas wafting through the house.

Today, I got a jumpstart on tomorrow's breakfast because it is a treat that I wanted to share with you step by step, using the nifty gadget I purchased a couple of years ago from Williams & Sonoma. Love, love it!

The crust recipe calls for 2 1/2 c flour, 12 tbsp. cold butter, 2 tbsp. sugar, 1/2 tsp. salt, & 8-10 tbsp. ice water. Because I love to tweak recipes to add a little bit more nutritional value, etc. I included 2 tbsp. ground flax meal to my dry ingredients.


I whirl the dry ingredients together using the pulse setting on my food processor, add water, pulse again for a couple of seconds, then chill for several hours.
 
One side of this awesome pastry cutter gives you the cutout, flip it over to use as a tamper to seal edges. So cool.


Your choice of filling could be sweet or savory, the possibilities are endless. Here I chose apricot & cherry preserves.


Seal your edges like a dream by brushing the edges with an egg wash. Prick with fork.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes, cool & if you'd like, drizzle with icing, topped off with maybe a few rainbow spinkles. I doubled this recipe which yields about 20 pastries.

No comments:

Post a Comment